Your email account is one of your most important accounts, as it is needed to log onto
several other services. With all the banking information and other critical and personal
data on your email account, losing access to your email account can turn life into a
That's why account protection is necessary, and the best way to do that is by frequently
changing your account password. It is best practice to use a unique password that
includes numbers and symbols.
If you have a Yahoo account, you must consider changing its password at frequent
According to a study
by Thytoctic, 80% of all cyberattacks happen as a result of stolen
or ineffectively weak passwords. That's why it's prudent that you change your password
regularly, possibly every 30/60/90 days.
Here’s how changing your account password frequently can help prevent it from being
● If your account has been hacked in the past, it doesn't mean the danger is over,
and you are safe now. While most of the hackers strike just once gaining as much
info as they can, there exists another type as well.
● This other type of hacker returns to your account to steal more info by continuing
to monitor your account. You might not even come to realize this is happening, as
it can be tough to figure out that more than one person is using the same account.
That's why you should change your account every few months to be safe.
● You may come across situations where you accidentally disclose your Yahoo
password to other people.
For instance, If you have saved your password on your computer and given it for
repair, or you sold it without clearing your hard drive, then the person who has
your computer may also have access to your passwords. Continually updating
your password ensures that even if someone has access to your old passwords,
they can't access your account by misusing it.
Changing Yahoo account password- How often is too often?
In theory, changing your password frequently is an excellent idea as it minimizes the
risk of someone hacking into your account.
However, in reality, there are several drawbacks of changing it too often:
● Changing your password frequently leads to you using weaker and predictable
passwords. You might be creative at first, but eventually, you'd run out of ideas
and would end up using easy to guess passwords such as password1, abc2, and so
● It is also important to note that using an easy to remember and seemingly strong
password so that you don’t forget it is not an intelligent thing to do.
For instance, if your password is your birthday and ‘12345’ combined, or just your
name or even the date of your anniversary, your account is very susceptible to
attacks. If this is the case, you should change the Yahoo password as soon as you
Enabling Two-Factor Verification Feature
We'd also advise you to use two-factor authentication to tighten the security of your
account. It is one of the best ways to secure your Yahoo account. When you activate
this feature, besides your password, you'd also be required to enter a code sent to
your alternate email ID/phone number to sign-in.
Enabling two-factor authentication would ensure that your account is safe even if
someone gets access to your password.
To activate the two-factor verification on Yahoo:
● Click on the Account info icon and then on the Account Security icon.
● Tap on the Two-Step Verification button, and it will ask your phone number.
● Once you enter the phone number, you will receive a call or text message with a
● Enter the code and click on the verify button
Two-step verification is now activated on your Yahoo account.
How To Change The Password In Different Ways
There are different ways to change the Yahoo email password. You can change it via a
PC, iPhone, or Android device. We will cover all the three methods separately and provide
you with a step-by-step guide on how to change the Yahoo account password.
#1 How To Change Yahoo Email Password On A Computer?
Follow the steps below to change the yahoo account password using your computer.
● Go to the Yahoo account sign-in page and enter your email ID and password, and
then click on the sign-in button.
● Once you are logged in your Yahoo account, click on your username on the upper
right-hand corner of the screen.
● Go to Account info where on the left part of the screen, you will find the Account
Security option. Click on it.
● Click on ‘Change password’ and then enter your current password and then the
new password twice.
● You can click on the 'show password' option to ensure that you have entered the
correct new password both times.
● Select the 'Complete' button.
And you are done. You have completed the process of changing your Yahoo account
password. You can click on the Mail icon on the Account Security page to return to your
Yahoo now uses alternative methods to verify your identities, such as sending
codes to your phone or your recovery email ID. You need to make sure that they are up-
to-date so that you don't get locked out of your account.
#2 How To Change Yahoo Password On iPhone?
To change Yahoo password on iPhone, follow the given steps:
● Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
● In the settings app, scroll down and Tap on the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
● In that menu, click on the mail account.
● Click on your email address.
● Next, click on the Password option.
● Delete your old password and enter the new password that you want for your
Yahoo email account.
● On the upper right-hand corner, click on the 'Done' button to save your changes.
There is another way to change the Yahoo account password on your iPhone device,
which is by going directly to the Yahoo app if you have downloaded it on your phone.
Follow the given steps to change your Yahoo account password in this way:
● Go to the Yahoo app on your phone.
● Click the bar on the top left corner and scroll down to tap on the "Account info"
● Next, tap on ‘Account security’ and then click on the ‘Change Security’ option.
● Enter your new password and retype the password. Please note that the password
should be between 8 to 32 characters.
● Click on the Continue button.
Your Yahoo account password has now been updated.
#3 How To Change The Yahoo Password On Android?
If you wish to save your Yahoo account password on your Android device, follow the
● Open the Yahoo app on your phone.
● Click on the ‘Manage Accounts’ option.
● Next, click on the ‘Account Info’ option and then select the ‘Account Security’
● You will be asked for the security code for changing your password.
● Once you provide the security code, click on the change password button.
● Enter your new Yahoo password twice.
Congratulations! Your Yahoo account password has been changed.
Your Yahoo account might not be in danger of getting hacked, but it is still a good thing
to change your account';s password regularly.
The process of changing the Yahoo password is simple and can be done in just a few
minutes. It is a crucial step to make your Yahoo account more secure and protected
against various cyber attacks.